December 2016 E-Newsletter
What's New Nationally
What's New in the FAA
Following the cancellation of the 2016 FAA Annual Conference & Trade Show because of Hurricane Matthew, FAA submitted a claim on our event cancellation insurance.
The claim has been processed, and we are now sending refund checks to registered attendees, exhibitors, and sponsors.
We appreciate your patience as we worked through this process. The Annual Conference & Trade Show is truly a team effort, and our volunteer leaders, supportive supplier partners, and all our members are part of that team. We couldn't produce this event without your commitment and contributions, and we know that the cancellation was felt by everyone who contributed throughout the year. As always, we appreciate your continued support of the Florida Apartment Association.
We look forward to your participation in the 2017 FAA Annual Conference & Trade Show, October 11-13, at Disney's Contemporary Resort in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
(Please note: If you purchased tickets to the APAC All Hands on Deck Yacht Party, you should have been contacted separately regarding that donation. If you still have questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Please join FAA as we travel to Tallahassee for the 2017 Legislative Conference February 7 and 8. Make plans to join your peers and friends from across the state as we team up again for our journey to the state capital. This annual visit is extremely important, as it helps secure our grassroots lobbying base and promote our industry's legislative priorities.
A registration fee of $115 includes the legislative briefing, reception, and dinner with guest speakers. The deadline for the conference registration and hotel room reservations is Tuesday, January 31, at 5 p.m. To register, print this PDF and either scan and email it to email@example.com or mail it to the FAA at 105 East Robinson Street, Suite 301, Orlando, FL 32801. An interactive PDF will be available on the website soon.
The room rate at the Hotel Duval, 415 N. Monroe St., is $189 plus $10 parking (if applicable).
Click here to make your room reservation or call 888-717-8854 and mention "Florida Apartment Association" to receive the discounted group rate.
Tuesday, February 7, 2017
8:30 - 9:50 a.m. - Executive Committee Meeting
10 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. - APAC Board of Directors Meeting/Legislative Committee Meeting
11:45 - 12:45 p.m. - AE Council Meeting
11:45 - 1 p.m. - Lunch, Provided by FAA
1 p.m. - 4 p.m. - Board of Directors Meeting
5 p.m. - 6 p.m. - Reception
6 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. - Legislative Briefing Dinner
Wednesday, February 8, 2017
9 a.m. - 5 p.m. - Legislative Office Visits
Please contact Courtney Barnard, FAA government affairs director, if you have any questions. See you in Tallahassee!
Next year’s FAA Annual Conference and Trade Show offers more sponsorship opportunities than ever before. Click "learn more" to view a comprehensive prospectus brochure, as well as opportunities to extend your reach throughout the year.
2017 Sponsorship Opportunities and Exhibitor Prospectus
Multifamily management professionals who are interested in becoming FAA leaders can ask their local affiliate executive to nominate them for the 2017 FAA Leadership Lyceum program. All supplier slots for the 2017 Leadership Lyceum class have been filled.
The FAA Leadership Lyceum works to identify and develop a well-informed and highly motivated group of emerging multifamily housing leaders: people with a broad-based vision and strong commitment to the mission and strategic objectives of the Florida Apartment Association and its local associations.
Any FAA member may enroll in the course through their local association. Lyceum candidates are required to complete three classroom modules that are each five hours. They must attend one FAA Board of Directors meeting, one FAA Legislative Committee meeting, the FAA Legislative Conference, and the FAA Annual Education Conference. If you're interested in more information or want to enroll, please contact your local association.
Management members of the Florida Apartment Association are eligible for a discounted registration fee of $675 for the 2017 NAA Education Conference & Exposition. Learn more about the even
Important changes to the FAA Lease, also known as the FAA Click & Lease, Powered by Blue Moon Software, will take effect January 1.
What's New Nationally
"Apartment community visits and inquiries inevitably die down around the holidays, but that doesn’t mean leasing professionals shouldn’t be working to get potential residents in the door. After all, people move at all times of the year for a variety of reasons."
"I started my college career in the business administration program at the University of Wisconsin – Stout, but I soon switched to property management on the advice of a mentor."
Members of the FAA Product/Service Council (PSC) have approved a new structure that will expand opportunities for all suppliers as well as more effectively connect multifamily communities and management companies with their suppliers.
PSC past chairs and current officers met late last year and developed the plan that PSC members voted to approve May 5 at the Casa Monica Hotel. The vote was ratified by the FAA Board of Directors the following day.
Here are details of the plan, which goes into effect January 1, 2017:
- The PSC membership fee will be eliminated. Any supplier who is a member of any FAA local affiliate will be part of the new PSC. The PSC will still have officers, and the chair of the PSC will continue to have a seat on the FAA Executive Committee.
- Suppliers will have opportunities to stand out by serving in leadership roles on the council, on current and future FAA committees (including the Conference Committee, APAC Board of Directors, Leadership Lyceum Committee, Editorial Advisory Committee, and Government Affairs Committee), or as a liaison to a local affiliates.
- Education programs, such as the May seminar with memory expert Paul Mellor, will be open to all suppliers who are members of any FAA local affiliate.
- While in the past early exhibit booth sales were limited to PSC members, under the new plan booth purchase priority will be granted to exhibitors from the previous year's exhibition, as a show of appreciation for their continued support of the FAA’s Annual Conference & Trade Show. No discount on exhibit fees will be extended to PSC members.
- A more robust and comprehensive supplier directory will replace the current PSC Buyers Guide, a guide that, in many cases, includes only one company under a specific category. Every supplier will be offered a "basic" listing with contact information in one category, and will have the opportunity to pay additional fees for an enhanced listing or for listings in more than one category. Revenue generated from the supplier directory will supplant the lost PSC membership dues revenue.
February 6 – Hotel Duval, Tallahassee
May 11 – Hyatt Coconut Point, Bonita Springs
October 11 – Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Lake Buena Vista
October 11-13 – FAA Annual Conference & Trade Show: Disney’s Contemporary Resort, Lake Buena Vista