Tips to Prepare for Tropical Storm Nicole
As Florida closely prepares for the impact of Tropical Storm Nicole, multifamily owners and managers have a unique challenge to provide information and support to residents as well as to protect property. Here are some recommendations gathered from apartment associations and management companies that have experience dealing with hurricanes.
- Monitor local media for weather conditions and emergency information.
- Obtain emergency contact numbers for residents, and be sure they know what number to call for community information.
- Provide team members contact information for all team members and management contact person.
- Ask residents to move furniture, plants, and other items from patios and balconies and place them indoors.
- Advise residents to fill bathtubs with water that can be used to flush toilets if necessary. Even residents who are evacuating may need water supplies upon their return.
- Ask residents who are evacuating to remove perishable food from refrigerators, to avoid having to clean out spoiled food in the event of a lengthy power outage.
- Drain pools about two feet. Move pool furniture, trash cans, outdoor seating, etc., indoors. Remove items from stairwells and walkways.
- Open property access gates that may become unoperational in the event of a power outage.
Florida Division of Emergency Management
NAA Emergency and Disaster Library
Help Creating a Plan - State of Florida
Download the FEMA Mobile App (in English or Spanish)
Florida Department of Financial Services free Emergency Financial Preparedness Toolkit
Supplies and provisions recommended by the Florida Department of Emergency Management