Resources to Aid in Preparation for Hurricane Dorian
As Florida closely watches Hurricane Dorian, multifamily owners and managers have a unique challenge to provide information and support to residents as well as to protect property.
FAA and its affiliates around the state are providing resources to help members prepare.
Here are some recommendations gathered from apartment associations and management companies that have experience dealing with hurricanes.
- Monitor local media for weather conditions and emergency information.
- Obtain emergency contact numbers for residents, and be sure they know what number to call for community information.
- Provide team members contact information for all team members and management contact person.
- Ask residents to move furniture, plants, and other items from patios and balconies and place them indoors.
- Advise residents to fill bathtubs with water that can be used to flush toilets if necessary. Even residents who are evacuating may need water supplies upon their return.
- Ask residents who are evacuating to remove perishable food from refrigerators, to avoid having to clean out spoiled food in the event of a lengthy power outage.
- Drain pools about two feet. Move pool furniture, trash cans, outdoor seating, etc., indoors. Remove items from stairwells and walkways.
- Open property access gates that may become unoperational in the event of a power outage.
Read more in Lessons Learned: Step-by-Step Preparation for Hurricane Season.
NAA Emergency and Disaster Library
Local Affiliate Resources, including links to regional agencies
Apartment Association of Greater Orlando
Bay Area Apartment Association
North Central Florida Apartment Association
South East Florida Apartment Association
South West Florida Apartment Association
NOAA Extreme Weather Information Sheets by Region
- Central Florida
- East-Central Florida
- North-Central Florida
- Northwest Florida
- South Florida
- Southwest Florida
- West-Central Florida
OSHA's Hurricane Preparedness & Response
Disaster Resources for Florida Businesses
Florida Division of Emergency Management
Florida Attorney General Hurricane Preparedness Guide
Help Creating a Plan - State of Florida
Download the FEMA Mobile App (in English or Spanish)
Florida Department of Financial Services free Emergency Financial Preparedness Toolkit
Checklist Based on Lessons from Katrina, Apartment Association of Greater New Orleans
Tips to Prepare Financially for a Hurricane
Download a comprehensive hurricane checklist from the Texas Apartment Association's Disaster Preparedness Guide.